Thursday, February 22, 2007

Start Now....

So this is the beginning of what I hope will be a long and beautiful conversation. I'm looking forward to it, and I expect it may be a wild ride. Are you game?

First things first though. As some of you may know, the name of my blog comes from a song called "World" by Five For Fighting (you can hear it at the link above, as well as some of their other hits). I'd never heard the name of the band, although I discovered they have two other songs I love (100 Years and It's Not Easy from Superman).

(Okay so now you know I love music, but don't pay a lot of attention to the names of the performers.)

I discovered the song when it was used as the background theme to a montage of scenes from the new CBS drama Jericho. Jericho is an excellent new series, by the way. It's the story of a young man who returns to his small Kansas hometown just before a nuclear disaster befalls the US. Although the town itself is safe, the world they knew has irrevocably changed, and the residents of Jericho, KS must find a way to protect themselves and survive with no discernible federal government, no communications or technology, little food, and more. If you haven't watched this excellent (and perhaps very timely) series, I really recommend it. You can catch up on previous episodes online though Innertube ( http://www.cbs.com/innertube/player.php?cat=115191&vid=&format=&auto=1 ).

When the scenes from that show were combined with the song, it created a powerful set of imagery. But most of all, it asked a question, and posed a challenge that I think each of us should be asking and acting on. What kind of world DO we want, and what are we doing to make it a reality?

The lyrics remind us that what each and every one of us does matters - not only for us, but for our children and the future of our world. As the lyrics say, "history starts now". I would add that history starts with each of us, in everything we do and say, the way we cast our votes (or choose not to), the actions we take or don't take, and with every person we touch throughout our lives.

So what is this blog about? Life, love, justice, peace, politics, news, and more - but all based on that very simple and yet immensely profound question....What kind of world do YOU want?

My posts will tell you about the world I want, inspired by what I read, hear, and observe. Your responses will, I hope, tell me about the kind of world you want. Ultimately, our combined vision of the world, and the action we take as individuals to make it a reality, may be the start of something beautiful.

I hope you will come back often and see what we're talking about, and I hope you will share your own thoughts as well. Grab a keyboard and jump right in, and remember that "history starts now", with me, and with you.

No comments: