Thursday, February 22, 2007

Going off to war....

A young friend of mine recently announced that he plans to join the National Guard. He made this announcement on a forum, and recieved a range of replies from encouragement and "'atta boy" comments to attempts to dissuade him, or at least get him to think about it.

This young man is 17 years old, and as far as I know, has not even finished high school yet (I believe he graduates in June). Both of his parents have serious health issues that could very well end their lives early, and long before this young man marries or has children for them to bounce on their knees.

So why would he risk losing the precious time he has left with them, not to mention risking his own life, to join the Guard during a war?

He claims it's because he loves his country, and will do "anything" to protect it, and those he loves.

That's a laudable sentiment. Unfortunately, like so many others in America, my young friend has been bamboozled by the propaganda we've all been fed. The war in Iraq is not about "protecting" America. It's not even about protecting the Iraqi's from Saddam. It certainly wasn't about all the things that were claimed in the beginning (WMD's, connections to Bin Laden, nukes, etc.).

How is it that even after all those claims were proven to be nothing more than hype, and after more than 3000 American lives have been lost, as well as countless thousands of innocent Iraqi's lives - that any of our young men and women can still think that signing up for THIS war is in any way "protecting" America, or their families?

I know, I know....we were attacked. As a New Yorker, I am reminded of that every time I see the glaring hole in our skyline, or see a cop or fireman, or travel on a street that's been renamed for one of the victims of that awful attack. I can never forget that day, or how it felt to watch those buildings come down. I can't forget the fear I felt as I rushed to my son's school to bring him home, just in case it wasn't over yet, or trying to smile and reassure him as fighter jets flew over our heads on the walk back home. Nor can I forget being invited by a relative of a lost firefighter to visit the private memorial to the victims of 9/11, and seeing the thousands of pictures and notes left by those who loved and lost someone special that day.

But that was, if you can believe what we were told, the work of Osama and his terrorist group. It had nothing to do with Iraq, and that has been proven over and over again. Yet there are still far too many people in this country who refuse to believe that our President lied to us in order to convince us that we had a "right" to invade a sovereign nation, depose it's leadership, and leave it in ruins and on the verge of civil war.

I also remember watching Colin Powell make his speech to the UN. I remember the pictures he held up - showing trucks and buildings, but nothing that proved there were nukes, WMD's, or any other types of forbidden weaponry inside. Even then I thought the so-called "evidence" was very, very thin. So I was not surprised when the UN said no to Bush's request for an offensive. Nor was I surprised that Bush defied the UN and ordered us into a war we will never win anyway. And I certainly was not surprised when we found no such weapons, no nuclear devices or parts to make them, and no hidden terrorist cells.

In fact, it has been our invasion, occupation, and total lack of a workable plan for securing Iraq once Saddam was gone that has allowed the terrorists to get INTO Iraq. Sadly, that isn't a surprise either.

I was no fan of Saddam. He was a brutal dictator with no respect for the rights of his own citizens, or for the life of anyone who disagreed with him. I am glad he is dead. But I will never feel that our actions in Iraq were justified, or that our invasion of that nation was legally or morally correct, especially when it's likely that more Iraqi's have died at OUR hands than died under Saddam's rule.

But I bristle at the suggestion that this war has anything at all to do with "protecting" America or it's people. Not when the hunt for Osama has been virtually abandoned while Bush pursued his personal vendetta against Saddam. Certainly not when everything Bush has done since 9/11 has worked against America's best interests by making us a "most-hated nation" to so many other countries and cultures. Not when we've even turned against long-time allies (like the French) simply for having the guts to tell us when we are wrong.

For my young friend, I can only hope that he will come to his senses and stay out of the military until after Bush is out of office and, hopefully, the war in Iraq - or at least our role in it - is over. But I am afraid that won't be the case, and I am even more afraid that someday I will be writing that he was killed by some roadside bomb or sniper, or so-called "friendly fire", or perhaps by his own government's failure to provide our troops with effective and sufficient armor, etc. Or he could end up coming home without an arm or leg, or severely burned and disfigured, etc. In which case he'll be sent to a VA hospital where he will be lucky to - eventually - get sub-standard care.

Why have we allowed this to continue? Why is Bush still in office rather than being impeached? Why are we even considering sending more troops to Iraq instead of just bringing them home as fast as we can without leaving the Iraqi's defenseless? Sending more young men and women over there is just providing more targets for the insurgents and terrorists. You cannot fight a war with an invisible and undectable enemy. It just makes no logical sense.

In the 1970's, a group of esteemed thinkers, philosophers, teachers, and others got together to discuss their vision for the future of humanity. From those discussions, the Humanist Manifesto II was born. One of the items in the Manifesto states "War is obsolete".

It is a simple and yet profound statement of fact. War IS obsolete. Killing another human being over a piece of land, or a religious or political ideal, is stupid, wasteful, and endangers the future of humanity. We are not barbarians any more, or at least we shouldn't be. So why do we still choose to "solve" our problems through violence and death rather than through reason and cooperation?

Might (military or otherwise) does NOT make right. It never did.

What kind of world do I want?

  • A world where war truly is obsolete, and no human being ever loses their life over something as worthless as a piece of land, a line on a map, a political ambition, or a religous ideology.
  • A world where human beings use reason, science, logic, cooperation, and a sense of fairness to resolve their differences without violence or oppression.
  • A world where our leaders can be trusted to act with integrity, to tell us the truth, and be held accountable when they fail to do the job they were entrusted with.

10 comments:

Luke W Riddle said...

Rev. Moe,

Unfortunately this is the same short sighted, uneducated opinions the radical left continues to spew in its attempt to undermine the war effort. It must be difficult for you to rectify this propaganda with your professed beliefs. Rarely have I been as entertained by the staggering amount of hypocrisy in one essay. Perhaps I mis-understand and this essay was intended as irony; in that case I apologize.

You are more then welcome to read my blog and see that I too have a difficulty with this war. However, as a military officer, I have a much different perspective. It is a perspective reflecting experience rather then the kool-aid drinking, acceptance of outdated newspaper editorials.

Before espousing views of humanism then reeling off made up statistics and opinions, it might be a good idea to do your research first. This blatant mis-truths and obvious lack of political and military understanding makes for a weak ground to hold. If you are truly against the war, come up with useful suggestions offering feasible ways to disengage ourselves while maintaining our humanistic responsibility to aid the abused and oppressed people around the world.

LW

Maureen Mower said...

Thank you for your comments. I would be happy to discuss this in detail with you, but I'm afraid that you have not given me much to debate. You claim that my "statistics" are wrong (despite the fact that I did not actually use any), but give no examples to refute them. You also seem to think that my adherence to humanism and my lack of enthusiastic support for a war (or for this war anyway) are at odds. I disagree, but again I'd need you to provide examples of how they are in opposition in order to make a coherent reply.

One thing I do wish to make clear is that despite my disdain for war in general, and especially for the current war; I do support the people fighting that war. I appreciate the sacrifices that people like yourself make on behalf of all of us, and I honor those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.

But one does not have to support the war itself to support those fighting it. I hope that is a distinction that you can understand.

Maureen Mower said...

I have now read some of your blog, Luke. I can see that you have spent a lot of time thinking about the war (how could you not, when you're in the middle of it?), life, politics, morality, and more.

However, I do wonder what your understanding of humanism is, primarily because your blog makes it very obvious that you are a Christian.

Now before you take umbrage, I have no problem with Christians, so long as they aren't trying to convert me. Nor do I think it's impossible for a Christian to understand humanism (personally, I think Jesus - if he existed - was a humanist, and would be one if he were here now). But I do know that many Christians have some very twisted ideas about what humanism represents, what it's goals are, and more.

So I am simply asking that you explain to me what you believe humanism is all about.

I look forward to your reply....

Anonymous said...

Moe,

I have to admit, my views on humanism are limited to a minimal understanding. In a very general sense I understand humanism to be the desire for egalitarianism through the sweat of man's brow while seeing man as an end in and to himself. Of course a one sentence definition is in no way representative of a philosophical belief.

This said, I do not have a full understanding of all the subtle differences between the sects of humanist. For this reason, I will not enter the humanism discussion as a participant, but will vigorously read the discussions on the blog site 'Paradoxum' on which I found you.

As to the 'statistics' I mentioned were false; you said 'especially when it's likely that more Iraqi's have died at OUR hands than died under Saddam's rule'. This is blatantly wrong and perpetuates the mentality that killed so many men during Vietnam. I'm fairly certain you were opposed to war then and continued in your mis-understanding of war to this day. I understand. But the fact is, once we as a nation are in a war, it is not for the citizen to sympathize with the enemy as the likes of you and the Jane Fonda's of the world tend toward.

Radical left liberals so often broadcast their disgust for the egregious 'wasted' lives of the soldiers fighting in the war that 'not their' president 'illegally' threw our boys into. This is silly and counters any steps toward respectability they might have previously made. For grown ups know that when things get difficult you don't take your ball and go home, you mitigate losses and institute management controls. Would you stop a surgeon from operating at the first sight of blood? By aiding the moral of the enemy and handcuffing the men and woman who have laid down their own liberties to protect yours, you effectively sign the death warrants for hundreds if not thousands of men and woman who otherwise may have lived if left to do their job. Does this not seem a contradiction to humanistic beliefs?

You wax we chose Iraq for purposes other then WMD and terrorist links. Would genocide and tyranny not be reason enough to invade? As a humanist, are you not actively engaged in the fight for egalitarianism and against the wanton human rights abuses? My question to you is why are you not screaming for more war? War in the Sudan where genocide is more rampant then full bellies, Iran where woman are treated as slaves and simple commodities, or North Korea where citizens are denied necessities if they do not worship their tyrant as a god? Are you beginning to understand your hypocrisy in opposing this war? A humanist who believes in egalitarianism for all man would see the military as an arm of justice as a way to right wrongs. You however see it as a wrong in and to itself and are content to allow the world to destroy itself while sitting on the high horse of anti-military, anti-American sentiment.

Am I suggesting you support the war? No. Am I suggesting you and the rest of the radical left get a grip on reality? absolutely. Assuredly, it is difficult to put aside your 'feelings' and take up 'reason'. War always feels bad. Reason, through logic, demonstrates its necessities. A thorough understanding of history demonstrates this unfortunate law.

You read my blog. You may have noticed I take a very critical look at much of the military and society. I am not a republican, so please do not dismiss our discussion as one of republican versus democrat. I am, however, an idealog dreaming of realism. My ideology burns to cure society of its hardship and atrocities; the realist understands these are battles hard fought, and fighting our own comrade citizens conjures memories of Lincoln's, 'A house divided shall not stand.' Be wary of your words ma'am, for they have the power beyond mere self-loathing and guilt.

(i just realized you are on blogspot and may have visited my old blog. my new blog is www.lukeriddle.wordpress.com)

Maureen Mower said...

Thanks for getting back to me, Luke. There are several responses I want to make to your comments, but I think it would be helpful to put them into categories. Therefore I'm going to create some new blog posts addressing the various points, with quotes from your most recent comments. I think that will help us focus the discussions a bit more....

Luke W Riddle said...

hi moe.

thank you for the kind description. i know i jumped in with both guns blazing, so i appreciate your willingness to discuss. i'm not sure how large your readership is right now, but i would encourage you to bring this discussion to the site paradoxum.wordpress.com which you first posted. it has a large readership and is actively discussing the idea of humanism right now. i'm looking forward to reading the discussions to occur there. have a wonderful day.

Maureen Mower said...

lol - since I only began this blog a few days ago, I'm afraid my readership here is relatively small right now. But I'm hoping it will grow as time goes on.

I will check out the site you listed. I'm not sure my posts would be appropriate there, at least not in their current form, but I'd be happy to discuss humanism with the other participants and they can always visit my page to find out more.

First, I have to finish part 3. Then I'll check it out....

Maureen Mower said...

Well, Luke, it appears that if you want to be part of a discussion on humanism or Christianity, you and your friends from that blog will have to join me here.

I posted a long and detailed response to the questions I was asked, which has apparently been removed. I can only assume the author there was not happy with my answers, or was unwilling to have that particular discussion continue on his blog.

I am willing, however, so please invite the others over here if you like. I did so myself, but I'm unsure if that post will be allowed to remain either.

Luke W Riddle said...

hi moe,

i just read your responses on 'paradoxum'. the author is my brother! i'm certain he would love nothing more then to open the discussion as he said so to me just a couple of days ago in an email before he left town. i think this is a very important issue and as you two represent opposite sides of the spectrum, i hope the discussion continues. he should be back in town soon (in the next day or so i believe). having your blog as a reference then discussing on his message board will be very enlightening for everyone i'm sure.

well, hope you had a wonderful weekend.

lw

Maureen Mower said...

Thanks Luke. As you will see, I have posted an explanation and apology on your brother's blog. For some reason, the message I posted from my pc did not appear when I visited the site from my laptop - despite refreshing the page several times. That is why I thought it had been removed.

Next time I will be careful to check from both computers before thinking something was removed.

I am looking forward to further discussion of this as well.